The League of Women Voters does hands-on work to safeguard democracy, leading to civic improvement. Together, we:
- Encourage informed and active government participation
- Influence public policy with education and advocacy
- Research and distribute non-biased ballot measure information
- Encourage all Oregonians to register and vote
- Study issues, agreeing on positions for public policy changes
LWVUS, the League of Women Voters believes:
- In representative government and individual liberties established in the Constitution of the United States.
- Democratic government depends upon the informed and active participation of its citizens and requires that governmental bodies protect the citizen’s right to know by giving adequate notice of proposed actions, holding open meetings and making public records accessible.
- Every citizen should be protected in the right to vote; that every person should have access to free public education that provides equal opportunity for all; and that no person or group should suffer legal, economic or administrative discrimination.
- Efficient and economical government requires competent personnel, the clear assignment of responsibility, adequate financing, and coordination among the different agencies and levels of government.
- Responsible government should be responsive to the will of the people; that government should maintain an equitable and flexible system of taxation, promote the conservation and development of natural resources in the public interest, share in the solution of economic and social problems that affect the general welfare, promote a sound economy and adopt domestic policies that facilitate the solution of international problems.
- Cooperation with other nations is essential in the search for solutions to world problems and that development of international organization and international law is imperative in the promotion of world peace.